Last Updated on September 17, 2020 by Michael J. Branco
What’s the best way to conduct mattress cleaning? Interestingly, we sleep about one-third of our lives, so it’s critical to keep our mattresses as clean and tidy as possible. Over time bacteria, stains, and odours can build up, which can cause potential health issues. The good news is you can take some basic steps to make your mattress looking and smelling fresh. You can even use some natural stain removers that are both safe and effective. In this guide, you will learn how to get rid of the bad smell from the mattress.
What Causes Mattress Stains & Odors
There are several different causes of stains/odors on mattresses. They include:
- Body odor
It’s quite common mattresses pads to start getting funky over time. In the situation of bed-wetting, you might have to deal with urine odors every week, for example. There are various other causes of stains/odors, including sweaty partner, smoker, or pets.
This process of cleaning a mattress through deodorizing might seem like a super-easy problem to fix. One of the main issues is picking a method that’s both safe and effective.
Many cleaners have strong artificial chemicals. They can cause a lot of unwanted issues like skin irritation. It can especially be a problem for people like me with sensitive skin.
There are other possible issues triggered by strong cleaners. They can give off fumes that can cause breathing issues.
This can be worse for people with various conditions like asthma. Such people have a more sensitive respiratory system, so they’re more likely to have issues.
- PERFECT FOR ALL SPORTS EQUIPMENT AND PADS - Amazing at cleaning and deodorizing football, hockey, lacrosse and soccer pads; yoga mats; boxing gloves; running shoes; gym equipment; gym bags; and all other sports equipment.
- 100% NATURAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS - Naturally-derived freshener formulated from a proprietary blend of essential oils and cleaning agents.
- NON-IRRITATING & NON-TOXIC - Completely free of artificial fragrances, ammonia or other harsh chemicals that can irritate your skin, ruin your equipment or harm the environment
- TRUSTED BY PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT MANAGERS - Vapor Fresh Sports Cleaning Spray is used and trusted by professional, college and high school sports programs nationwide.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA
A better option is milder cleaners that contain organic ingredients. These are less likely to cause unwanted side-effects, and you can also enjoy fresh scents that will help you get a good night’s sleep.
You should still contact your mattress’ manufacturer about safe substances to use on the mattress. This will help to make sure the mattress won’t be damaged when applying various cleaners.
- Guarenteed to permanently eliminate all stains & odors from cat sprays, vomit, and other accidents
- Natural enzymes eliminate odors
- Will also work in old and deep set stains and odors
- Packaging may vary
DIY Mattress Cleaning
Top Causes of Smelly Mattresses
This might be surprising since a brand new mattress causes it. The gas-like smell is some synthetic materials that function as fire retardants. These are added for the consumer’s protection, so they’re designed to be beneficial.
Another problem is that plastic bags that cover the mattresses trap the chemicals. So when the bag is removed, this causes the strong smells to be released.
These chemicals are referred to as volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Besides creating a strong odor, the VOCs can also trigger respiratory events like allergic reactions or asthma attacks among people with those conditions.
We love our pets but don’t always like the smells they produce. Cats and dogs can make smelly mattresses in different ways. For example, if it’s been a while since you’ve bathed Fluffy or Fido, then that could be the cause of a funky mattress.
Another possible explanation is the Proteus bacteria. The smell is somewhat like a corn tortilla and gets stronger when dogs sleep. Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator is the best pet odor and stain remover.
- ELIMINATES STAINS, ODORS AND RESIDUE If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow pet urine and feces to vomit and other organic spills, our professional strength formula tackles them all.
- ENZYME ACTIVATED The key is getting to the problem deep-down. This spray contains natural enzymatic bacteria that are activated on contact with odors and stains, feeding on ammonia crystals and organic matter until they are completely eliminated.
- CERTIFIED GENTLE AND SAFE Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. So gentle it’s been Certified Safe for all carpets, earning the Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI)
- EVERY SURFACE, EVERY TIME For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas -- anywhere stains happen.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED An Amazon best seller for a reason. If your stains and odors aren’t gone, neither is your money. We’ll refund it in full
The cause could be different ones, including children or baby pets. This is easily one of the most potent smells to deal with. If your mattress has a urine smell/stain, it’s critical to take some basic steps to make sure they’re removed effectively.
It’s not surprising how smelly urine stains are when you consider a few things. It consists of waste products and has an average pH level of 4.5 to 8.0. For reference, the lower the number is below 7, the more acidic a substance is. Simple Solution Pet Urine Destroyer is the best urine odour stain remover.
- TOUGH ON URINE - Simple Solution Pet Urine Destroyer combines Pro-Bacteria and Enzymes in a formula that neutralizes the toughest urine odors and discourages future marking.
- ELIMINATE STAINS – Simple Solution’s enzymatic cleaner technology lifts urine stains leaving your carpet stain and odor free.
- MULTIPLE USES – Our pet odor and stain remover is safe to use on carpet, upholstery, bedding, fabric toys, clothing and other water-safe surfaces in your home when used as directed.
- CARPET SAFE – Certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute, our Pet Urine Destroyer is safe to use on all colorfast carpets when used as directed.
- SAFE FOR THE HOME – Simple Solution pet urine remover is safe for use around pets and your household when used as directed.
Read More: How to Wash a Cotton Sweater
Top Tips to Remove Mattress Odors
Make a Natural Cleaner
You can easily make an all-natural cleaner for your mattress. It only takes some basic items, including:Distilled Water
- One 16-fluid ounce bottle of Happy Belly Distilled White Vinegar
- Contains 5% acidity
- Use in recipes or around the house
- Certified Kosher U
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We're proud of our products. If you aren't satisfied, we'll refund you for any reason within a year of purchase. 1-877-485-0385
- An Amazon brand, Packaging May Vary.
Tea Tree essential oil
- TEA TREE OIL 100 PERCENT PURE: Steam distilled from natural Melaleuca Alterfornia tree leaves. No additives, fillers, bases or carriers added. Vegan and cruelty-free.
- TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL for FACE: Place a few drops of tea tree essential oil in a warm bath to reduce redness, unclog pores, and promote healing of existing breakouts. Leaving you with smooth, clear skin.
- TEA TREE OIL for HAIR: Tea tree oil can treat dandruff by moisture skin cells from the scalp and help hair scalp stay healthy and moisturized, promoting optimal growth.
- MULTIPLE USAGE: Use Lagunamoon tea tree oil to DIY your own shampoo, body wash, deodorant, soap, all-purpose cleaner and etc. Tea tree essential oil has a reputation as nature’s do-it-all secret oil.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Customer satisfaction is our first priority and we are happy to help you with all questions related to our products. We will offer the best customer services to ensure your satisfaction.
Just combine all the ingredients in a spray bottle. Then to do mattress cleaning, spray onto the mattress top. Let it dry completely before you make the bed. Next, store the cleaner in the dark/cool place for up to half a year.
Air Out on Sun
This can be an effective method for removing mattress smells since the air can flow through the mattress fibers. Besides that, the sunlight can also help to kill microbes trapped in the mattress.
If you want to impress your friends and family, the fancy name is bicarbonate of soda. Just combine the baking soda with a little water. Spray the mattress then let it sit for a couple of hours.
The soda will absorb the odour. Next, vacuum off and use a damp cloth to wipe off the mattress. This option is especially useful for sweat/vomit.
- One 14 oz. box of ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda Fridge-n-Freezer Odor Absorber
- FLO-THRU TECHNOLOGY: The only baking soda brand with Flo-Thru technology that has dual panel vents for maximum odor control
- ABSORBS AND DEODORIZES: Helps food in fridge or freezer taste like it should by absorbing and deodorizing food odors
- FRESH TASTING FOOD: Use a new box each month help food taste fresh – one for the fridge and one for the freezer
- AMERICA’S NO.1 TRUSTED BAKING SODA BRAND: Pure and natural, free from harsh chemicals
Here’s another way to clean your mattress naturally. There are various benefits to using hydrogen peroxide. Besides being natural, it’s also relatively easy to find. You can combine it with other stuff like white vinegar to get the best results.
- 1 gallon bottle of multi-purpose peroxide cleaning solution for a wide variety of surfaces and environments
- Harnesses the power of oxygen to activate bubbles that break down dirt and grime
- Ideal for commercial properties, retail, and hospitality; multi-purpose solution works for entire facility cleaning, eliminating the need for multiple products
- Use as needed to clean floors, bathrooms, fixtures, countertops, kitchens, and more
- 2-6 ounce dilution ratio per gallon of water
- Made up of 5% Hydrogen Peroxide content
This involves wiping the mattress using a piece of lemon. Make sure to wipe/scrub all over the mattress. After you’re done, let it dry for several hours to help ditch odours. Lemon contains antibiotic properties. It’s a good option for sweat/stains.
Tips for Removing Odors Naturally
This is a critical first step to take. It helps to remove lots of stuff like dust and dead skin. They can build up over time. Use a clean upholstery attachment. This can help to remove lots of particles from the mattress surface. It would help if you also considered vacuuming the mattress’s foundation.
Besides cleaning the mattress itself, be sure to clean the vacuum attachments. This will help ensure they’re functioning as effectively as possible, which is needed when vacuuming your mattress and other stuff.
How to Vacuum Your Mattress
This is a crucial step when cleaning to help remove any funky smells, whether from body odor, pets, or urine. Baking soda is a good option since it will help to neutralize the smells.
Just sift baking soda over the mattress. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then use an upholstery attachment to vacuum.
If you want an even sweeter smell, then add some essential oil to help the mattress smell fresher—the choice is yours about which one. Just use about five drops.
There are lots of different recipes for DIY stain removers and include other ingredients like:
- First Aid Antiseptic
- For minor wounds, abrasions, scratches
- Hydrogen Peroxide (Stabilized) 3%
- For external use only. Do not use: in the eyes or apply over large areas of the body; longer than 1 week. Ask a doctor before use if you have deep or puncture wounds, animal bites or serious burns. Stop use and ask a doctor if: the condition persists or gets worse; sore mouth symptoms do not improve in 7 days; irritation, pain or redness persists or worsens; swelling, rash or fever develops.
- Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
- Natural and safe 20% industrial strength white vinegar
- Multi-use and perfect for cleaning, laundry, automotive and gardening to name a few
- Concentrated vinegar is widely used to replace many harmful and expensive commercial cleaning products
- Made in the USA
When picking a recipe, one issue to consider is the stains/odors you’re removing from the mattress. Some work better than others on particular stains/odors.
This is critical to help prevent stains and odours from seeping deep into the mattress fibres. For example, if you’re dealing with stains, make sure to blot instead of rubbing to prevent the stain from worsening.
Top Tips to Extend Mattress Life
Wash linens regularly
When you sleep, your body is giving off oils, sweat, skin cells, etc. If you eat in bed, it can also cause small crumbs that attract tiny critters. So it’s a good idea to launder your beddings every week besides cleaning a mattress.
Use a Mattress Protector
Make sure to take this step to protect the mattress from the get-go. It’s a simple and effective way to protect your mattress, so it lasts longer. You also get other benefits like waterproof protection from accidents, spills, etc.
You can also reduce how much dust/debris is on your mattress. This is especially critical if you have respiratory conditions like asthma. If you do not have one get now.
- 100% Waterproof - Top protection against perspiration, bed wetting, liquids and stains; 10-year quality guarantee (NOTE: For six-sided protection, buy a SureGuard Mattress Encasement).
- Hypoallergenic - Blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mildew and mold - For ultimate allergy relief, buy together with SureGuard Pillow Protectors.
- Soft & Noiseless - 100% cotton terry surface; Wicks away moisture; Retains the feel of your mattress - Free from Vinyl, PVC, Phthalates, fire retardants and other toxic chemicals
- Durable & Easy to Clean - Machine wash & dry - For frequent accidents, buy 2 or more - while one is washed, the other protects the mattress
- Queen (60 in x 80 in) - Fitted Sheet Style; Stretchable skirt fits any depth mattress. Independently lab tested and GREENGUARD Gold certified.
Keep Mattress Well-Supported
You might want to go with a box spring to pair with a memory foam topper in some situations. Even if you don’t take that step, it’s critical for the mattress to be well-supported. It helps to reduce wear & tear and also protect the materials.
It can be tough to deal with stained or smelly mattresses. Luckily, cleaning a mattress can be quite easy and include some basic procedures and materials. Hope now you know how to get rid of bad smell from the mattress.
Last update on 2020-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API