Last Updated on December 7, 2020 by Michael J. Branco
I played Disc Golf for a while. Since moving to Kentucky, I have not had much time to play. Oh, Yeah! My love for the game sucks. A basket in my backyard will probably help. I wanted to put a Disc Golf basket for our backyard so I could teach my kids how to play. In this guide, I will teach you how to make a disc golf basket at home. But before that, you must have the right disc golf disc with you.
I checked the website for some cheap disc golf basket. A short video shows me throwing some discs in a homemade basket, and the sound of chains is enough to buy me on the spot.
I researched the DIY disc golf basket dimensions from official sources, so I based the center post’s altitude on that information. After a trip to Louisville to get some raw steel rod, flat stock, and fencing material, I started cutting the necessary pieces. The center post is steel upright for the chain-link fence. Using metal-cutting bands, I quickly cut it into lengths.
How to Make a Disc Golf Basket at Home
Follow the below 17 steps to make a disc gold baster at home;
- Learn the basket
- Gather the tools you need
- Assemble your parts
- Cut the Chains
- Divide the couplers
- Cut your pole
- Prepare the whiskey barrel liner
- Keep your pole upright
- Couplers, Flanges & Liners
- Save the liner
- Drill and screw, drill and screw
- Search for the Holy Grill
- Make the basket
- Adjust it
- S-hooks around
- Start hanging some chains
- Mount the basket
Now, I will discuss the steps in detail.
Step 1: Learn the basket.
Before you build your basket, go to the course, and look at the basket. Have you ever really seen one? Sure, we throw them away all day but watch the parts like chains, S-hooks, and more chains. This part needs to be checked: how the chains all come together at the bottom.
It helps keep it on your head when you reach that stage of your DIY disc golf basket. If you feel you are incredibly high, take the other side lengths from the inside of the catch basin to the bottom of the chains and from the ground to the catch basin’s bottom.
Keeping these in hand will allow you to adjust your hardware disc golf basket.
Step 2: Gather the tools you need
- Note: cutting locks is not recommended
- Drop forged chrome molybdenum steel and powder coated jaws for sure, efficient cutting and long life. Ergonomic bi-material Anti-slip grips provide greater control and comfort in cutting
- Classic lever-fulcrum design and precisely aligned blades deliver added leverage with less effort
- Cutting Capacity: HRC≤42: 7/32-inch(5mm Maximum)；HRC<25: 1/4-inch(6mm Maximum)
- Ideal for cutting soft metal, bolts, rods, rivets and chain
- The set includes: 8-inch groove joint, 8-inch and 6-inch slip joint, 7-inch linesman, 6-inch and 4.5-inch long nose, and 6-inch diagonal pliers. Covered slushing oil for rust protection. Wipe these pliers before using then store them in a dry environment.
- DROP FORGED POLISHED STEEL: Heat treated durable body construction. Tips: pliers are covered in grease to prevent getting rusty, wipe grease off before using.
- HARDENED CUTTING EDGES: Long-lasting, increased cutting ease and performance.
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE: Double-dipped coating to ensure safe and secure non-slip handling.
- CONVENIENT FOR: DIY home maintenance, garden projects and more! Great additions to your existing basic tool set.
- 🔨【Durable & Anti-corrosion】Screwdriver bar made of 6150 chromium vanadium steel, stronger and tougher than most carbon steel; it is chromium plating treated for corrosion resisted and nice appearance.
- 🔨【Strong Magnetic Tip】Magnetic black oxide non-slip tips with blackening treatment for isolation of air, rust protection and secure grip in fasteners.
- 🔨【Convenient To Repair】Precision kit are equipped with 360-degree swivel cap, makes it rapid twisting; ergonomical non-skid and soft-grip handlemade of PP+TPR material with excellent durability.
- 🔨【Customized Storage Case】Designated slots in the case keep every piece in place and sockets don't fall off and slip. Perfect for storage and carry.
- 🔨【20-PIECE Different Size】20pcs screwdrivers of various sizes can meet your requirements. Suitable for all kinds of projects,electronics, computers, watch repair, jewelry repair, and fixing anything with micro screws.
- Set Contents: (1) 9-1/4" Multi-Purpose Scraper, (1) 4" Mini Scraper, (1) Protective Safety Cap, (5) Extra Heavy-Duty Replacement Razor Blades
- Mini Scraper’s compact design is perfect for everyday use and hard-to-reach areas; Multi-Purpose Scraper’s long reach design provides leverage and is suitable for more heavy-duty household and automotive scraping jobs
- Remove labels, stickers, window film, decals, and other adhesives from car windows and windshields
- Use on glass, ceramic, and induction stovetops and cooktops to remove burnt food, gunk, residue; scrape off caulk and sealant in bathroom and remove window paint, wallpaper, and borders around house
- Scrapers features tough polypropylene handle with TPR comfort sleeve and sturdy steel shaft, the ergonomic handles reduce hand fatigue and increase grip and control
Drill and 7/32-inch drill bit
- 【Brushless Motor & Max 530In-lbs Torque】High performance brushless motor optimizes drill's efficiency. Compared with the motor of brushed drill, no sparks are generated during use, TECCPO brushless cordless drill is safer, more high-performance, more durable. 530 in-lb high torque fulfills a wide range of needs of various applications.
- 【21 + 1 position clutch & 2 Variable Speed】21 + 1 torque setting, can easily drill into wood, ceramic tile and metal. Suggested usage scenarios of 2 Variable Speed: 1-Speed (0-400RPM)with screw size: M5-M6, woodworking holes larger than 25mm; 2-Speed (0-1500RP)with screws size: M1-M5, woodworking holes below 25mm, metal holes below M13.
- 【2Pcs 20V Li-ion Batteries】Two 2.0Ah large capacity Lithium-Ion batteries keep the brushless cordless drill running continuously. The alternate use of 2 batteries can save time and improve work speed and efficiency.We also provide 4.0Ah batteries and fast drill charger separately to bring more powerful power to the brushless drill. Recommended for use with POPOMAN 100Pcs Drill Bit Set(MTH400).
- 【1/2" All-Metal Keyless Chuck】Compared with 3/8" plastic chuck, 1/2” keyless metal ratcheting chuck of TECCPO 20V Brushless Drill Driver Kit has unbeatable performance in providing maximum accessory compatibility and durability.
- 【Compact, Lightweight Design & LED Work Light】This compact brushless drill weights only 3.37lbs with battery, which is perfect to reduce fatigue for long time use and easy access to tight area. Trigger-activated LED Light for increased visibility in enclosed work spaces and dark environment.
Step 3: Assemble your parts
Here is what you need.
- 1:18 gauge fence post 1-5 / 8-inch diameter, 5.5 feet long
- 1: 7-inch whiskey barrel liner
- 47 feet: 2/0 straight link chain
- 1: 3-inch to 1-1 / 2-inch PVC coupler
- 2: 1-1 / 4-inch to 1-1 / 4-inch rubber coupler through steel pipe clamps
- 1: 22-inch round grille sash
- 3: 1-1 / 2-inch galvanized Floor edge
- 8: 1 / 4-20 Stove bolts 1-inch long
- 8: 1 / 4-20 Nylon lock nuts
- 4: 5/16-inch fender washers
- 12: 3/16-inch x 1-1 / 2-inch hook with nut
- 24: 1-1 / 2-inch open S hooks
- 2: 3-1 / 4-inch adhesive locking rings
- 1: 1-1 / 4-inch PVC cap
- 6: Zip ties
Step 4: Cut the Chains
Start cutting the chain. You will need a 24 length chain. Each chain is 23 inches long. Beg, borrow or steal to get your hands on good-sized bolt cutters. You can get it through some links with a hawk saw, drill tool, or angle grinder, but bolt cutters do the job much faster. Once you have cut all the chains, and then set them aside.
Step 5: Divide the couplers.
Take two 1-1 / 4-inch to 1-1 / 4-inch rubber couplers with steel hose clamps and cut them in half using your razor blade. Do not cut your fingers.
Step 6: Cut your pole
Identify how your finished disc golf basket will be arranged (see the last step). If it is on a patio umbrella stand, cut the fence post to a 57-inch height using your hawk saw. If you set your basket on the ground, leave the pole alone.
Step 7: Prepare the whiskey barrel liner.
Open a hole in the underneath of the 7-inch whiskey container liner. Find the center; mark the cutout circle as a template using a large hole in one of the galvanized floor flanges. Cut the hole using your razor knife. While you are on it, drill three inches apart in the four areas raised in the whiskey barrel liner for drainage.
Step 8: Keep your pole upright
If you work alone, you will need a patio umbrella stand or some other temporary support to keep the fence post upright when you assemble the basket. If you do not have easy access to anything like that, make a friend and help them.
The primary step is easy: position the fence post upright. We are going to start slipping to the bottom on all the parts at the top.
Step 9: Couplers, Flanges & Liners, Oh My!
Loosen the hose clamp from 1-1 / 4-inch to 1-1 / 4-inch rubber coupler half and slide over the pole. You want this part to be 30 inches above the pole. Tighten the hose clamp. Now slide one of the 1-1 / 2-inch galvanized floor flanges, facing the flat side upwards, under the pole to rest on the rubber coupler.
Next, place the whiskey barrel liner. From the base, use the holes in the floor extension as a guide to drill through the whiskey barrel liner. Add another 1-1 / 2-inch galvanized floor flange, flat side facing down. Secure with bolt and nut.
Step 10: Save the liner
Loosen the hose clamp from 1-1 / 4-inch to 1-1 / 4-inch rubber coupler half and slide over the pole. Push down firmly on the whiskey barrel assembly and tighten the hose clamp.
Step 11: Drill and screw, drill and screw
This stage consists of a 3-inch to 1-1 / 2-inch PVC coupler and measure around the complete end. It should be close to 12 inches—Mark every inch or more, 3/4-inch down from the open end. Drill a 7/32-inch opening at every one of these marks.
Insert a 3/16-inch x 1-1 / 2-inch hook into each hole and secure with a nut to the inside of the PVC coupler. Tighten each one very nicely, but be careful not to crack the PVC. Once all the hooks are secured, use the bolt cutters to cut the extra threaded part of the hook inside the PVC coupler.
Step 12: Search for the Holy Grill
Grip the bolt cutters again and remove a spot in the dead center of the grill sill so that it slips through the fence post. The orange circle on the right in the center of the picture should give you a general idea of where to place the sash. If you do not have bolt cutters, a drill tool with a cutoff wheel or angle grinder will do the trick.
If you have a hole for a fence post, align the hole in the 1-1 / 2-inch galvanized floor extension with the iron frame’s hole for the grill windows. The flat side grille of the extension should be on the side of the sash. Push a bolt upwards through the iron frame that attaches to the grill windows. On the iron frame of the grill windows, secure the bolt with a washer and nut.
Step 13: Make the basket.
Take time to assemble the top of the disc golf basket. Loosen the hose clamp from 1-1 / 4-inch to 1-1 / 4-inch rubber coupler half and slide the top over the hose clamp side towards the pole. Tighten the nut to keep it in place, and you will fine-tune the placement later.
Now see if the piece of PCV with hooks fits. You will need to sand/file/grind from the short end to fit the fence post. Slide down the fence post to rest on the rubber coupler. Next, place the grill on the post with the flame of the galvanized floor flange resting on the PVC part.
Loosen the hose clamp on the remaining rubber coupler and slide it over the post with the hose clamp facing downwards. Press a 1-1 / 4-inch PVC cap over the top of the fence post
Step 14: Adjust it
Fine-tune the placement of the upper parts, loosening the hose clamps as needed. Once everything is in place, secure the hose clamps securely.
Step 15: S-hooks around
Hang the iron frame on the grill with the Orange Xs. With pliers, the S-hook closes around the iron frame that attaches to the grill windows. For the two S-hooks that rest near the grille windows, secure them in the center position with the three zip tiles, as shown in the picture.
Step 16: Start hanging some chains.
Hang chains on each S-hook on the iron frame of the grill windows. Close the S-hook around the chain. Open one of the 3-1 / 4-inch adhesive locking rings, place it around the fence post inside the whiskey barrel liner and start threading the chains in the ring.
While all the chains are in the right position, close the ring. Now attach the S-hooks to each eye-hook on the PVC piece; S-hooks closed. Hang the chain on each S-hook, and the S-hooks will close. Exchange the inner chains between the outer chains, and thread the inner chains into the remaining hinged locking ring.
Step 17: Mount the basket
If you stick it in the patio umbrella holder, you’re done. Congratulations. If you want to do this on earth, there is little or more work than you can do. Your fence post should be 66-inches long and the disc golf basket 55 inches long. That means you have to drill a hole 11-inches deep.
The post hole digger works best for this. Dig a hole a few inches deep to add some gravel for drainage. Lay the 1-1 / 4-inch PVC pipe (its diameter is slightly larger than the fence post) level in the hole, fill the hole with quick-dry post cement, add water, and check back to the level it. When the cement dries, pull out the PVC and stick your basket to the ground.
Disc golf goal is as frustrating as real golf. Because this game follows a lot of real golf rules and adequate effort has to be put together to achieve disc golf basket blueprints.
If you love laying disc golf and want to make Disc Golf Basket at Home then congratulations you have learned step by step how to do it. Get the recommended tools and start working simply following the steps and you are done.
Patrick M. Gray is the Senior product manager of Easy Trip Guides. He works for Amazon.com for 3 years as Alaska’s product manager. He writes for Easy trip Guides product review.
Last update on 2021-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API