Making your own “pair of the boot” is an exciting job. Every time you visit different brands of a shoe shop to get your desired shoes. Sometimes the shoe design you like is not in your range, but you want to wear those shoes, to resolve this problem you can make your boot without going to any brand shop. One other reason to make your boots is your foot size. If you can’t get it, either it’s very large, or it’s very small. I think you think it’s a challenging process, but it’s not difficult to work on. If your feet swell or its “half-size” large or smaller, you can easily loosen and tighten them. Only you need to know the full procedure by understanding how to make boots.
To make your “pair of shoes,” you can “purchase” material from the art store or fabric store. You don’t need a big set up, expensive materials, and complicated tools for this purpose. This method will help you make “perfectly fitting” shoes as the size will be drawn from your shoes. This project’s total cost is approximately $50, including all material and leather or any other stuff, and it takes 20 hours to complete a pair of “leather boots.” Moreover, the moccasin “style” boots out of suede with rawhide “laces.” represent the silent walk and middle ages. As compared to specter boots, the lighting boots give 8% more movement speed. Follow the below steps to make boots;
- Make a sketch
- Make a list
- Casting your foot
- Cast into a Last
- Covering and drawing
- Make the pattern
- Attach the inner fabric to the outer fabric
- Make the lace hole and put the lace inside
- Shoe is ready
How to Make Boots: Materials and Tools you will need
- Retractable utility knife
- Eyelet puncher
- Cutting mat
- 1 yard of each fabric: leather use outside the shoe
- 1 yard of fabric used inside the shoe
- 8+ eyelets
- Masking tape
The cast of your boots:
- 64+oz. of perm stone
- 13+oz. alginate
- Cardboard box
How to Make Boots
Step 1: Make a sketch
The most crucial step is to design your shoes, which style you like in your shoes. Think about it and start making sketches. Now I am giving dancing shoes design suede with rawhide laces.
Step 2: Make a list
- 1st of all, understand the term last, which means it’s a “single pair” feet demo through which shoemakers make their shoes by covering the leather around it. A last is a hardwood “piece,” which looks like a foot with extra space in front to give sleek pointed style to shoes.
- Last are useful as they allow drawing an accurate sketch.
- It gives a harder surface to work with, and they also provide you a quick demo about what size exactly you want.
- There are 2 ways through which you will decide which will suits you better:
- Cast: Make a cast of your shoes, and then use it as a last. Manage shoe design according to the size and design.
- Buy a last: you can ask a shoemaker or order it online.
Step 3: Casting your foot
- Preparation: Making last is the best way to measure your perfect fit size.
- Now you will need alginate to make a mold of your foot.
- You will need a casting material and a box in which you make your mold.
- 1st of all, take a makeshift box for your foot.
- Leave room around your foot as the more space you leave around your foot, the more alginate will be used.
- Now it’s time to make your mold.
- First, take the alginate and water in a mixing bowl.
- Mix it with hands or a spatula.
- To prevent it from being too much, liquid pour water gradually.
- Put 6 cups of cold water but remember to add it gradually.
- Now put this mixture into the box; otherwise, it will dry, and all your effort will waste.
- Put your foot into the box.
- It depends on you, if you want flat shoes then put attach your foot with ground, you can also suspend it into the alginate without touching the ground.
- Your foot must be covered till your ankle.
- If you don’t have enough alginate, then you can put some napkins into space.
- Wait for 20 minutes until the alginate turns into a jelly-like solid look like “rubber.”
Removing your foot
- Remove your foot from the alginate as it holds your foot firmly, so take out to be careful. Otherwise, different chunks of the dried alginate will be off.
- You can also use a cutter or utility knife to cut a little part and take out your foot.
- Now you will need 5 cups of casting material for male size shoes.
- Most people use permastone instead of plaster because it is more durable and inexpensive.
- Pour the material into the box.
- When casting material is dry, pull off the box apart and take out the mold material.
- Now tear the alginate and take out the mold.
- This alginate is only a one time use.
- Do the same step with your other foot to take an exact measurement.
Step 4: Cast into a Last
- According to your selected design, wrap the mold with tape on the front side to make a round face as most people like.
- Ensure you are satisfied with the shape. The shape of your last decides the shape of your shoes.
Step 5: Covering and drawing
- According to your designed “photos,” mask the tape around last with masking tape in 2 or three layers to make the exact design.
- By using your utility knife, cut your masking tape along the lines.
Your design will be consist of 4 parts
- Vamp: This part will cover your laces and moves down to the bottom of the shoe.
- Counter: this is the back of the shoe, sometimes used to give the shape to your shoe.
- Toe: The front part of the shoe
- The other part: This part is in the center of the toe and vamp.
Step 6: making your pattern
- Firstly, trace your patterns on paper.
- Add a ¼” allowance on all of your patterns.
- Now drew your pattern on paper and cut the pockets along the original pattern.
- You will use your shoes or leather for your shoes, cut it along the attached patterns, and take your pieces out.
- There are two ways you can stitch your pieces together.
- Sew within the seam allowance in a straight line. If you don’t sew in a straight line, it will look messy.
- You can cut the seam allowance off one of two patterns. Sew it in this way; you don’t need to invert the fabric.
- Sewing with a “sewing machine” will improve shoes’ durability and give an attractive and formal look to your shoes.
Step 7: attaching the inner fabric to the outer fabric
- Sew your pattern until you have an inner and outer layer; now sew the inner pattern with an outer pattern.
- When you finished around the vamp and the sides of the ankle, flip your pattern over.
- Now make your shoe tongue pieces by taking two pieces, stitch them from the outer side, and then invert it and attach to the shoe.
Step 8: Make the lace hole and put the lace inside.
- Now take ¼” and 1/8″ cork and make holes inside the lace outlets of 1/2″. Cut sole with a utility knife.
- Shape your sole and stitch it with the upper part of the shoe.
- Your shoe is ready to wear.
How to Make Boots: FAQ Section
How much does it cost to make a pair of boots?
To make your “pair of shoes,” you can “purchase” material from the art store or fabric store. You don’t need a big set up, expensive materials, and complicated tools for this purpose. This method will help you make “perfect fitting” shoes as the size will be drawn from your shoes. This project’s total cost is approximately $50, including all material and leather or any other stuff, and it takes 20 hours to complete a pair of “leather boots.”
How long does it take to make a pair of boots?
It’s not a long process as it takes 20 hours to complete a pair of “leather boots.” The total cost of this project is approximately $50, including all material and leather or any other stuff
Can I make my shoes?
yes, you make your shoes by making patterns; otherwise, “download” photos from the internet to make a “comfortable work boot.” Then make the mold by the last and cast method, now make patterns, and stitch the inner and outer sides. It’s preferable to use “steel toe boots” as its durable, and “stains” can easily remove by wiping them out. Now make the sole and tongue of the shoe. Make tie holes and tie lace over it. Now wear it with “socks.”
To conclude this topic, make your shoes is a big job if you are making it the first time. But if you follow proper instructions from an expert, you can also be an expert. In this article, I demonstrate the full boot making procedure from all “aspects on” how to make boots. I know when you follow these steps and tips; you will get the best boots.