The Post Office is regarded as the largest retail network in the UK as well as the largest financial services chain that’s been there for more than 370 years. However, apart from that, the company also offers insurance products, one of which is the post office travel insurance.
In this article, we’re going to talk about everything you need to know which regard to this particular travel insurance. But before that, let’s have a look at the achievements of the Post Office regarding insurances.
What is the Post Office?
Post Office has been voted the “Best Travel Insurance Provider” for 9 straight years starting from 2006 to 2015. Apart from that, it also received the Silver award from the British Travel Awards in 2016 and 2017.
As a massive network, the Post Office offers a wide range of options when it comes to their insurance policies. One of them is the rudimentary budget cover through the Super Economy Travel Insurance. There’s also the Premier Plus policy which provides complete coverage.
Primary Insurance Policies Offered
There are three main types of travel insurance policies offered by the Post Office, namely annual multi-trip, backpacker travel cover, and single trip.
Let’s have a breakdown of each of these policies:
The single trip insurance will provide coverage depending on your age when you obtain your insurance policy. The Post Office website states that those who are below 71 will be covered 365 days per trip. Meanwhile, those who are 71-75 will be covered 90 days and individuals 76-85 are only covered for 31 days.
As the name implies, a single trip policy will cover for you if you plan to take a single trip in the near future.
The multi-trip policy allows you to spread your trip abroad using a voluntary add-on. You can receive coverage of around £10 million for a medical emergency. They also have a 24/7 medical emergency helpline available.
This policy is perfect if you plan to travel several times a year without having to go through the hassles of obtaining concealment every single time.
For the single and multi-trip policies, there are five different levels available.
Here’s a detail detailing these levels alongside other important details:
|Coverage Level||Cancellation Cover||Excess||Baggage Cover||Emergency Medical and Other Expenses|
All of the levels come with a personal liability cover ranging from £1-3 million. However, the Super Economy comes with various extras like death, personal accident, personal money, hospital benefits, and passport cover.
The backpacker travel insurance is designed for backpackers who are price aware. As such, the Post Office provides two coverage options for them: Economy and Super Economy.
The two policies will provide coverage for up to 18 months. Moreover, you can come back home 3 times within a span of seven days. However, you have to keep in mind that the coverage doesn’t apply if you’re in the UK.
This is often the best option if you plan an adventure trip as it covers you from sharks to safaris and more. The policy can be availed of by anyone between 18 and 60 years old. You can also avail of additional cover for business, cruise, golf, and winter sports and add any of them in the above policies but for an extra cost.
Other Policies Offered
Apart from the major insurance policies offered by the Post Office, there are also several other policies which are as follows:
This is perfect for individuals who plan to go on a golfing holiday. Through this policy, you can enjoy the following:
- Protection in case you can’t play due to injury or poor weather
- Coverage against injury personal liability cover and while playing
- Coverage for your golfing equipment against theft
If you plan to enjoy the luxury of a cruise, then this policy is for you. It protects you from any unforeseen risks that might come along with cruise holidays. It comes with the following features:
- Coverage for a delayed transport
- Coverage for damage or stolen evening dress
- Replacement of any lost or misplaced damaged
Winter Sports Cover
Winter sports do come with their own risks, but this policy will ensure that you can still have fun despite that. It comes with the following inclusions:
- 24/7 medical assistance
- Coverage for sports like ice skating and snowboarding
- Protection from any injuries
- Protection for a damaged or stolen equipment
This policy ensures that you won’t suffer from any issues with your insurance when you go traveling around the world. It comes with the following features:
- Emergency repatriation
- 24/7 medical emergency helpline
- Replacement for lost or stolen documents
- Financial coverage for medical treatment in the event of injury or illness when traveling
Pre-Existing Medical Condition
Post Office’s coverage for a pre-existing medical condition ensures that you can get to have fun and enjoy life despite your condition. It includes the following features:
- Quick and easy repatriation
- Treatment monitoring
- Payment for any medical expenses while you’re traveling
This is the perfect policy if you plan to travel together with your policy. This will allow you to avoid any hassles that come with obtaining individual policies for each of your family members. It includes the following:
- Maximum of £10 million emergency medical coverage in the event of injury or illness while traveling
- Assistance during a vehicle breakdown missed departure or delayed public transport
- 24/7 medical emergency helpline
Cost and Coverage
One of the main reasons why the Post Office travel insurance has managed to outdo most of its competitors in the market is its very cheap cost. In fact, it has the cheapest insurance quotes available on the market.
When it comes to coverage, Post Office covers all basic forms of coverage including property damage, comprehensive coverage, and bodily injury liability among others. However, you can also gain access to special kinds of coverages that are exclusive to Post Office travel insurance members.
These special coverages come in the form of emergency road service, rental reimbursement, and mechanical breakdown insurance.
These are the general exclusions that apply to any of Post Office’s travel insurance policies:
- Claims due to war or act of terrorism
- Traveling for the purpose of receiving treatment overseas
- Traveling without heeding the advice of a medical professional
- Personal injury caused intentionally
- Taking part in an organized sports competition
Other Important Information about the Post Office Travel Insurance
- Apart from providing coverage for any personal injury or illness sustained while traveling abroad, the Post Office will also offer guidance, assistance, and advice regarding legal proceedings and obtaining proper compensation.
- When applying for any of their travel insurance policy, you can also choose to add an Excess Waiver. This will allow you to reduce your excess to zero, thereby removing the need to contribute to the cost of your claims. However, be prepared to spend an additional cost for this.
- Even though there are only a few travel insurance providers that cover business travel, the Post Office’s policy will provide coverage for business travel that can greatly help professionals abroad. This policy will provide coverage for emergency couriers, employee replacement, equipment hire, computer equipment, and business money. This is only optional.
- Not all optional cover types can be added to every policy type. Only the Cruise cover is applicable for the Premier and Premier Plus policies. Meanwhile, the Golf and Business cover is only applicable to Standard, Premier, and Premier Plus.
- Various holiday activities and sports will be covered by the Post Office under the Standard policy. However, riskier activities like sailing and jet skiing won’t be covered for any personal accident claims.
Are there any special policy rules for pregnant women who travel?
There are certain limitations for pregnant women who want to travel. In line with the Complications of Pregnancy and Childbirth policy, coverage for pregnant women will only include the following:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Emergency Caesarean sections and medically necessary termination
- Gestational hypertension
- Hydatidiform mole
- Hyperemesis gravidarum
- Placental abruption
- Placenta praevia
- Postpartum hemorrhage
- Retained placenta membrane
- Stillbirths and miscarriage
- Premature births more than 8 weeks before the expected delivery date
Will the policy provide cover during a war or terrorist act?
Unfortunately, you won’t be covered for any terrorist act that doesn’t involve the use of chemical agents and nuclear weapons.
How many people are included in a family?
A family can either consist of a couple or a group consisting of up to 8 travelers. It can also include a person with his/her partner, dependent children, and dependent grandchildren below 18 years of age. Keep in mind that you will have to pay the appropriate premium for this.
Wrapping Things Up
Post Office is one of the leading health insurance companies in the UK. With their wide range of travel insurance policies, you will be able to enjoy peace of mind as you go traveling into other countries. The best part is, the policies offered by the Post Office are one of the most affordable options currently on the market.